Happy International Mountain Day!
- Mountains cover around 22 percent of the earth’s land surface.
- Mountains provide 60-80 percent of the world’s freshwater – without which sustainable development that aims to eliminate poverty and hunger would not be possible.
- Mountains host 25 percent of terrestrial biodiversity and 28 percent of earth’s forests.
- 6 of the 20 most important food crops originate in mountains (potatoes, maize, barley, sorghum, apples, tomatoes).
- Mountains attract 15-20 percent of global tourism.